Welcome on our pages of ContactEngineering. This page you will gain insights into our competences and references.
ContactEngineering offers competences and references in the fields of mechanical engineering, tribology and wear protection. We combine knowledge of mechanical and electrical contacts and connections.
We define functions, requirements and derivation of appropriate verification measures. Furthermore, the definition of assembly and process parameters or the diagnostic possibilities of mechanical and electrical contacts and connecting elements.
Creation of designs (choice of suitable contact type and connection, materials, coatings, tolerances, form and surface, assembly and process parameters, quality assurance), simulation and verification (e.g. tribometer tests, screw-bolt analyzes), protection against wear mechanisms and corrosion, Evaluation of influences and robustness, of long-term behavior and reliability.
We share our knowledge in services, trainings, workshops, seminars and teachings.
Competences and references
Contact mechanics, mechanical and electrical contacts, tribology
- Engineering: Experienced in Automotive development processes and serial production e.g. of high-pressure pump (CP4), Li-Ion-battery systems for electric vehicle and Power Distribution Unit (PDU).
- Contact mechanics: Expertise in mechanical and electrical contacts, in design of electrical bolt-connections, laser-weld connections, test specifications, manufacturing instructions and control of critical quality parameters and tolerances in serial production. Tribology and contact mechanics, design, lifetime and reliability calculation of concentrated contacts. Evaluation of lifetime influencing parameters and lifetime limiting failure mechanisms.
- Electrical wiring interconnect System (EWIS) in aviation according EASA part 21: Knowledge of available components (cables, connectors, connections, brackets, contactors, SSPC), of automotive and aviation suppliers.
Experienced in failure mechanism, lifetime and reliability calculation of concentrated electrical or mechanical contacts, in grounding/bounding concepts, shielding for EMI and isolation measurement.
- Testing, analytics: Testing and measurement on component level and in contacts including mechanical (forces, noises, vibrations), electrical, thermal and environmental parameters. Investigation of electrical and mechanical contacts, in field applications or detailed contact investigations on tribometers, verification of bolt-connections in serial production lines or on test benches.
- Processes: Requirement engineering until verification and validation and assembly instructions and serial production accompanying quality control methods (V-model). Automotive safety and quality standards (ISO, ECE) and verification
Design of batteries, electrical power train, Power Distribution Unit (PDU), battery junction box (BJB)
- Design and verification of electrical power train. Main tasks are to define connectors, to calculate dimensions, temperatures and power losses of cables, to investigate safety concepts for high voltage drives, to implement shielding and bonding concepts (for isolation measurement and EMI), to write requirements, test specifications and design rules (e.g. to avoid failures, corrosion or electrochemical corrosion).
- Development of blind mating connector interface for battery swap concept and to evaluate overcurrent protection concepts (e.g. solid state power control vs. electromechanical contactors).
- Requirement engineering, analyzed designs (FMEA) and tested design solutions.
- Implemented an innovative hot crimp connection and manufacturing process for isolated motor phase cables.
- Evaluated aluminum conductor and ultra-sonic connections for weight reduction.
- Designed mechanical and electrical contacts and connecting elements (terminal board, power connectors) and wrote installation procedures to ensure a reliable connection.
- Compared advantages, safety measures and risks of different voltage levels in power train. Implemented automotive standards and established safety concepts (established solutions and safety measures like service disconnect solutions, galvanic separation, pre-charge mechanism)
- Developed an Automotive Power Distribution Unit (PDU). Designed electrical connections and contacts, selected components, wiring and connectors. Considered mechanical, electrical, thermal and environmental requirements. Compared different contact types, conductor materials and platings. Optimized designs, costs and manufacturing of electrical contacts and connections. Calculated and tested electrical bolt-connections.
- Designed electrical contacts (according established standards like FKM, VDI), simulated (FEM) and tested (e.g. wear, tribometer testing, screw-bolt analyzes). Evaluated important influences, wear mechanisms and corrosion to establish robust, long-term stable and reliable designs.
- Trained and consulted students, development engineers and supervisors. Supported development and design processes, wrote design rules to avoid failures and wear, calculated lifetime and reliability in mechanical and electrical contacts.
- University teaching
For further information please contact us: Link to contact-page